[pct-l] maps and bnooks

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 9 20:51:07 CST 2012

On Jan 9, 2012, at 9:47 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I like the guidebooks, they are pretty accurate and contain useful
> information not found elsewhere
>
> This section hiker agrees. Nothing, over all, beats the guide
> books. Yes, mileage may vary, but the land marks and other
> pertinent information far makes up for any slight differences. It
> is so full of information, side trails; off trail guide to water;
> trails leading away from the PCT for a jump off point if needed due
> to injury; land marks; maps correspond to narrative, etc. Best of
> all for me is you need no other source of information, guide book
> pages alone will supply you with all the information you need to
> get you up/down the trail.
>
> YMMV
>
> are we there yet

I also concur. Most people do not bring the guide books. And most
people have no idea about anything that surrounds them. Oddly it
doesn't bother them. All that matters is miles. Personally I couldn't
stand not knowing what the name of that mountain over there is, or
what all these trees I keep seeing are. Or what the name Oriflame
means. And how did the author know I would see baby quail climbing up
to the Spanish Needle Peaks or hundreds of frogs on the trail in Oregon?