[pct-l] 2012 Hike Planning Session: 10 Questions

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 9 20:47:28 CST 2012

On Jan 9, 2012, at 9:47 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
>> I don't know about the Laughing Cow soft cheeses. I will have to
>> check
>> that out. Where do you buy them?
>
> Actually I found out tonight that Laughing Cow makes both BabyBel and
> the soft cheese I'm talking about.  I get them both at Trader Joe's,
> but they also have them both at regular places like Safeway.

Eww! Don't eat fake cheese! Bring real cheese. Real aged parmesan or
gouda, real Swiss Gruyere. Real cheese lasts very well on the trail.
You never really need cheese to last more than 5 days so bring the
real stuff. Aged and dry cheese lasts very well. And with your access
to Trader Joe's bring the gourmet cheese! Life is too short for
crappy cheese!

Here's a new trail food I've discovered that's pretty good. Creamed
Coconut. It's like a brick of concentrated coconut milk. Hack a hunk
off (with a knife), maybe a 1/4-1/3 of it, melt it in hot water to
soften. Add more water for a soup. Bring some thai curry spices and
you will have a high-fat and delicious coconut curry (way more fatty
than canned full-fat coconut milk). Or, since this is good to make at
home, experiment with different spices and see what you like. Use
rice noodles or ramen noodles and dehydrated/freeze-dried veggies.

Here's a picture of the product. I actually found it in a store.
<http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organic-Creamed-Coconut/dp/B00113ZZ5U>