[pct-l] 2012 Hike Planning Session: 10 Questions

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 21:57:49 CST 2012

I'm planning on hiking about the first 180 miles starting during the last weekend of April this year.
While going through all my gear, I came up with the following questions:

1. A 20 degree bag is a good choice. It may be colder than you think.
2. A free standing tent isn't needed. SoCal isn't a big sandbox.
3. I would have enough capacity to carry 8 liters. Don't put all your water in a single container. In addition to a few plastic bottles I use Platypus bladders that are light and can be flattened when not needed.
4. A small lighter and a few backup matches.
5. If by stove less you mean eating cold food that is probably an acceptable option. If you're planning on cooking on a wood fire then it's a bad idea since ground fires are not allowed on most public land in section A and B.
6. It's more important to avoid cotton than to have the latest high tech clothing. I bring a single set of hiking clothes along with lightweight long underwear to sleep in. I do bring a second set of socks. Good wicking underwear might be a good upgrade, but some leave the underwear at home. I like long sleeves in the desert so I don't bother with zip off pants. Don't forget rain gear and some insulation for cold, wet days which you may encounter in April.
7. Any food bag should do. Bears have been encountered on San Jacinto but that is very rare.
8. Nothing to add
9. Small simple knife is all you need.
10. My base weight was around 20 pounds when I hiked. Get rid of any extra gear and then decide if you want to invest in lighter gear.

Snap