[pct-l] GPS Recommendations?

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 21:26:37 CST 2012

Garmin GPSmap 60CSx or 62s. Both have a quad helix antenna and I have rarely lost signal with either one. the 60CSx is the according to Garmin the gold standard and the 62s is the latest greatest. I get about 2 days on the batteries. That been said turning on and off will save batteries but it will degrade performance so where you need to count on it the longer it is on the better the performance. A gps not only uses satellites right now but it also downloads a packet from the satellite about where it is going to be. This is the file the GPS uses to accurately fix it's position. Most manufactures recommend 30 minuets to get a good and accurate fix. This can go up depending on the terrain you are in.

Hiking Irish.