[pct-l] Question on stoves

Gail Francis gailmfrancis at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 12:45:03 CST 2012

Hi all,
I've got an MSR whisperlite that runs on white gas (Coleman fuel). I've used it for about a 1,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail and all over the place on shorter hikes. Wouldn't want to get a different stove for my PCT hike, but I've noticed most people break the stove options into alcohol stove, canister stoves, or stoveless, so I"m wondering if this means that white gas will be hard to come by at resupplies. On the AT there were enough places to buy it by the ounce that I only rarely had to buy a full gallon, and then I would usually be able pass it around to other hikers or leave it in hiker boxes so I didn't mind. Can anyone tell me if white gas is a good fuel to count on for the PCT? Are others planning on using it? If so, perhaps we can leave extra fuel in hiker boxes for each other. Thoughts? Thanks.
Gail

---
http://gmfranci.wordpress.com/