[pct-l] 2012 Hike Planning Session: 10 Questions

gschenk1 at roadrunner.com gschenk1 at roadrunner.com
Sun Jan 8 12:00:20 CST 2012

Boy, are you going to have fun!

---- Tim Gustafson <tjg at tgustafson.com> wrote:
> So, I just dumped out my hiking gear box, and went over each piece of
> gear that I own and made two piles: stuff that will come with me on my
> 2012 PCT section hike, and stuff that won't.
>
> I'm planning on hiking about the first 180 miles starting during the
> last weekend of April this year.
>
> While going through all my gear, I came up with the following questions:
>
> 1. I currently have a Kelty Mount Shasta 20 degree bag.  It's a big
> tight across the chest, but other than that it's in great condition.
> Is this a worthy bag for the first section of the trail in April/May?
> Is this overkill?  Should I get a lighter 30 degree bag instead?  I've
> heard some chatter about quilts instead of bags, but I'm a little
> skeptical I guess.  I'm a big guy - 6'3" - and it's not always easy to
> fit inside "one size fits all" gear, so I wonder if a quilt would be
> better or worse for me than the bag I already have.

A 20 degree bag will be fine. It can get pretty cold that time of year, a 30 degree bag might be a little light.

> 2. My tent is a Eureka Solitaire one-person.  It packs very small and
> fits easily inside my bag with all my other gear - it doesn't need to
> be lashed to the outside.  But, it's not a free-standing tent; you
> need to use the stakes or it just falls in on itself.  I'm guessing
> it's not always easy to find stake-able ground in the desert sections.
>  And it doesn't really have any room for gear inside the tent - a
> bummer if it's raining and you want to work on something in your bag,
> or just keep it dry.  Should I invest in a free-standing tent?  Any
> recommendations for a suitable tent?

You shouldn't have a problem staking your tent in the "desert".

> 3. Is four liters of water storage enough?  I have a Pur "Hiker"
> series filter (I believe that brand/model now belongs to "Katadyn" - I
> bought my filter probably 10 years ago, and have just recently
> replaced the filter element) so I can filter along the way as needed,
> but will 4 liters be enough to make it from one reliable source to the
> next?

I carried 10 liters into the San Felipes. Some people carried 3 liters relying on the third gate
water cache. The cache is not always there. You definitely need some sort of filter/purifier
in SoCal. Some of the water is kind of skanky.

> 4. Waterproof matches or magnesium fire starter?

Be aware that in Southern California campfires are illegal outside developed campgrounds. For
good reason, too. For an emergency, waterproof matches and some sort of firestarter will work. Forget
the magnesium rod.

> 5. I'm planning on going without a stove; I've heard people say this
> is a very viable option.  It certainly saves weight and bulk.  Any
> comments on going stove-less for the first 180 miles?  Any suggestions
> as to what foods to bring?  I'm thinking a combination of regular
> trail mix, Cliff's bars, dried fruit and so on.  I'm vegetarian, so
> jerky and that sort of thing is out of the running.  Anything else I
> can/should bring?

Whatever you like to eat. It's up to you. You'll need to eat at time you
may not have a great appetite, so food you like and can choke down is important.

> 6. As for clothing: are the "high-tech" options worth it?  Should I
> get the super-wicking underwear?  The zip-off rip-stop pants?  The
> high-tech shirts?  And, how much clothing should I bring?  I'm
> thinking two sets of undies, pants, shirts and socks, so that I can
> switch off each day and let one set air out and dry while I'm wearing
> the other.  Is this overkill?

No, that's not overkill. The high tech stuff works, but so does wool. Just don't buy that
stuff at an outdoors retailer. It's cheaper at places like Marshall's

> 7. Do I need a bear can at this stage of the trail, or will just
> hanging a food bag do it?

No canister needed. Sleep with your food.

> 8. I'm planning on bringing my cell phone and my eReader and was
> wondering if anyone had any experience with using a solar charger -
> you know the kind that you tie onto the back of your pack while you're
> walking to charge up your gear.  Any thoughts?

My gf tried a solar charger. It sucked. If you want to save weight, leave all that
electronic crap at the trailhead. I'll never understand why people, in their efforts to save weight,
will deny themselves food, clothing and shelter and then carry a bunch of gadgets.

> 9. Any reason that a simple single-blade folding knife would not be
> enough?  I have a Leatherman tool, but I'm having a hard time thinking
> of a time on the trail when I might need a metal file or a Phillips
> screwdriver.

I carry a small swiss army knife. Can't remember using more than the blade.

> 10. Currently, my bag and all my gear, not including clothes, water or
> food, is 21 pounds.  That sounds pretty good to me, but I was
> wondering what feedback people might have about that weight.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give!

Have a good time!

Gary