[pct-l] Coffee and Food

Russell Mease measerp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 13:06:30 CST 2012

Yoshiro and Lisa,

Speaking of coffee, can I ask an uncomfortable question?  I know all too
well that coffee is a diuretic and causes me to visit the porcelain god
more frequently than otherwise.  Those visits are also
less....clean....let's say!  Coffee also causes bad breath and occasional
stomach cramps in my experience.  I love coffee but I am considering
switching to green and black tea instead because of the ease of preparation
and because it doesn't have these other side effects.  I recently cut out
coffee for about 3 weeks completely, just to convince myself that I am not
an addict, and I felt good!  I can't give it up forever but when it gets to
be a 2-cup a day habit or more, it's time to cut back.  Thoughts on Tea vs.
Coffee on the trail??

Lisa, Regarding food on the trail, you can check out my own strategy here:
http://russmease.blogspot.com/2012/01/more-on-food-dehydration-and-on-trail.html.
 I am really getting into preparing really hearty dehydrated meals at home
before the hike and then shipping them in vacuum sealed bags.  I am
planning on eating well on the trail...

Russ