[pct-l] 1st song to play leaving the Monument

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 13:07:33 CST 2012

That's not so funny Bulk - ha, ha.  My singing helps to repel all kinds of people - not just the bandidos, but also the stinky hiker trash who are waiting to be able to hitch to town to shower.  I take my showers while on the trail. Whenever possible, I camp alone with my horse well out of sight of the PCT. I have a Pocket Shower that weighs about 4.5 ounces. The bears are also distasteful of my singing and whistling - but my horse seems to like it. I not only sing to my horse but also talk to him - both in English and in Horse. As for songs, he likes cowboy songs, sea shanties (I used to be a sailor), folk songs. One of our favorite songs is Sound of Music. That is a very uplifting song for all along the trail.
     I'd like to mention a couple of advantages that you come to appreciate when you are riding instead of hiking.
First, since you aren't huffing and puffing up the hills, you can sing better. Second, you do see a lot more of the scenery. Your sure-footed horse is watching where he puts his feet, while you can look all around from a higher position above the trail. I never realized this when I was a hiker - then, when I started riding, I saw a lot more - I no longer had to spend so much time looking at the trail. This summer I will be hiking.
MendoRider-Hiker