[pct-l] Silk Liners verses Extra Down

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 12:39:53 CST 2012

In dealing with the broad range of temperatures, wind, rain, snow, and the occasional need for privacy, I believe in bringing several LAYERS. These include my cloths, sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, tent, and a Thermarest self inflating air mattress (47"x40"x1.5" - it weighs about a pound and deflates to a very small size. I like that I can adjust the softness to firmness depending on how much air is inside. It does a better job of insulating you from the ground than a sleeping pad). The LAYERS mentioned above allow greater versatility when dealing with the varying conditions that anyone hiking or riding the PCT will encounter.
     I don't bring the warmest down bag - mine is a little lighter and is, proportionally, less bulky when stuffed. Then if it is cool, but not really cold, I can use just the bag without the liner. Then, If I need the extra warmth, I can use the liner to make the warmth difference that the extra down would make. An obvious advantage, of course, is that you don't always want a really warm bag. This allows greater versatility. If it is even colder, I can use the liner and also put on my Smartwool long underwear - or, in addition, add some of my cloths that I bring along anyway.
    The tent is another layer, especially when it is windy as well as cold (or if it is raining or snowing) - the tent makes a big difference in how warm you will be. Since I use a Jetboil canister stove, I can cook in the vestibule of the tent during bad weather. I have used that stove, now, on the PCT, for more than six months, during three years, and have never had a "flare up". I consider it to be safe so long as I am careful. Don't try that with an alcohol stove.
MendoRider-Hiker