[pct-l] Silk Liners verses Extra Down

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 11:49:40 CST 2012

John wrote:

So, to those who use silk liners... why carry that extra weight when you
could just put that weight towards additional down in your sleeping bag??

I'm ambivalent about my bag liner but so far I've kept using it.  I agree
that if it were just about warmth, extra down would be a much better plan.

For me it's about keeping my bag cleaner and also it gives me more options
when it's warm outside and I don't need a lot of insulation.  I can either
sleep with just the liner if it's really warm or I can get inside the liner
and then just drape the unzipped bag over me like a blanket.  In that case
the liner helps cut down drafts from the sides and makes the blanket
strategy work well for mid-range temperatures.

Things I don't like about my bag liner: carrying the weight for what is
basically a single-use item, and how it's much more hassle trying to get in
and out of the bag in the middle of the night when I have to deal with both
the bag and the liner.

Eric