[pct-l] Heavier Sleeping Bag versus Lighter Sleeping Bag & Extra Clothing

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 17:58:40 CST 2012

I prefer a 15 or 20 degree, high fill 800+, down bag.  Temperatures rarely get down to 15 or 20 degrees along the PCT during a typical thru-hike but having this extra warmth provides an additional level of comfort and safety.  Most thru-hikers will be using their sleeping bag for about nine to ten hours each day.  If you can't sleep because you are too cold you will not get the rest you need to hike the 20+ mile days.  I feel that the extra ounces are worth it and in the event the temperature drops you will be happy you have a slightly heavier bag.

Paul

Hikethru.com
PocketPCT