[pct-l] Heavier Sleeping Bag versus Lighter Sleeping Bag & Extra Clothing

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 17:33:35 CST 2012

Hi John,

I've done it both ways too, and have no definitive preference either.  I
carried a WM 20 degree bag in 2010 and found myself cold at times over the
deserts, mostly where my butt and shoulders stretch the down thin.  As we
were entering the High Sierra in a lot of snow in early June, I picked up a
pair of WM down pants and loved them.  They were just the addition the bag
needed and kept me warm surrounded by snow when cowboy camping.  At night
when the rest of my party was wrapped in their sleeping bags making dinner,
(a very legitimate use of a sleeping bag by the way, Little Engine used to
get in hers with her feet protruding from the bottom looking all the world
like the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland) I danced around making a fool
of myself looking like the pillsbury dough boy singing little songs and
provoking the others in any way possible.  When things warmed up after
Sonora I sent them home and could have done with a lighter sleeping bag
too.  I'll be taking them again for the useful combo they make on the CDT
this season, so I guess I do have a preference.

Good down to brass tacks kind of question.

Shroomer