[pct-l] Which section of PCT would be a right choice for 10 days trekking with 13 old child?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 4 18:27:13 CST 2012

A nice one I did summer before last was to head in via Duck Pass to
the JMT/PCT and hike Southbound to exit at Bishop Pass. Duck Pass is
a pretty easy pass and it's near the lakes in Mammoth Lakes. A bus
takes you almost right to the trailhead. I even took a side-trip to
VVR just to see what I missed. I did that whole thing in 4 days, but
I was putting in pretty long days of hiking. I exited via Bishop Pass
then walked a mile down the road beyond the trailhead to Parcher
Resort where I was able to get a ride into Bishop. They at least have
a phone if you have someone to call, plus a little store. I was going
to get a ride with the lady who worked in the store but ended up
hitchhiking instead. I also got a nice shower there before I left. I
waited a few hours in Bishop for the bus back to Mammoth.

I would recommend anything all along the JMT stretch. What you can do
is try and make your best guess as to miles you can do each day and
then put in a request for a section of trail that will come close.
Perhaps even err on the side of extra miles. They're going to want to
know your entry and exit points, but you can always exit early if
you're not going to make it. The CREST bus along highway 395 can take
you from any of the little towns along there to wherever you started.
There's convenient and cheap buses from Yosemite all the way to Lone
Pine and beyond. Just keep yourself open to your entry and exit
points and to be open-minded to switch directions if you can't enter
exactly where you want. I wasn't able to enter at Bishop Pass and
exit Duck Pass but I was able to get a permit for the reverse.

You can get the permit online and it's pretty easy. Plenty of time to
get your permit. It's actually the picking up of the permit that's a
little complicated because you have to pick it up the day you plan to
start hiking before 10:00AM, or something crazy like that.