[pct-l] Dehydrated food

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 17:05:38 CST 2012

Food?! Did someone say FOOD? :)

For home dried foods...

According to the USDA, you are supposed to store dehydrated foods in air tight containers in the freezer. However, since both dehydrating and freezing are methods of food preservation I personally feel that this is redundant.

Dried meats will last 3-6 months, vegetables 6-12 months (or more)

I go with the look/sniff test.  If anything looks icky or moldy or questionable in any way, it gets chucked.  When in doubt, throw it out.

Hope that helps!

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra