[pct-l] Fear/Mather Pass

andrew walls pcthkr at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 19:23:09 CST 2012

I did the Sierras in '95 which was a high snow year.  For me the creek crossings were the worst.
A team is defenityly the way to go in the snow and high water. We (Chris, Mike, and I) ran into a backcountry ranger a day prior to Mather Pass
He said it was dangerously corniced the day before when he checked it out.  He reccommended heading over the alternate unnamed pass
about a mile south and west of Mather.  We went over the alternate and decended the Amphitheater lakes basin to rejoin the
PCT.  I don't remember anything special about the alternate passes difficulty so it must have been about average.
Brick how was Mather?  I think you passed us when we were out resupplying in Bishop.

Happy trails
Andrew