[pct-l] Achilles Tendon

mark utzman blackbelthiker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 12:16:20 CST 2012

Hey everyone,  I'm still battling an Achilles Tendon strain and as
Departure Day approaches ( May 1, 2012 tentative ) I'm becoming more and
more discouraged and hesitant to embark on a 2650 mile walk. I've gotten
conflicting advice from all sides, doctors included, and am throwing my
hands up in the air in frustration. Some say rest and do nothing, others
say stretch and exercise. I've done both and both seems to minimize the
soreness but has not eliminated the problem. Can I realistically do a
thru-hike with a sore achilles tendon? Or am I doomed to never realize a
dream I have to thru-hike the PCT. I'm tempted to just say the hell with it
and push ahead and do the hike, but I don't want to bail out and end up
with a lame foot. Any experiences?  Please help. Thanks,   Mark