[pct-l] illegal copies of ANYthing, oh, and YOGI

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 19:57:54 CST 2012

Yogi is a dedicated collector of trail information; one of several. She
sifts what she gets, adds her own experiences, puts it in a logical order in
one place and produces a product that gathers the best of what a through
hiker would want to know. Basically, she does the vast bulk of trail and
town research for you. Yes, you still have to dot the i's and cross the t's
for your particular hike. She even provides free annual updates to keep it
as close to current as possible without doing a ground survey each year.
These updates are available to everyone, regardless of whether they
purchased her book or not.

And her opinions count - she's a Triple Crowner with several thousand trail
miles under her boots (usually solo) and has done the PCT more than once.
She has a love affair with it or else she just needs to get out of Kansas
City periodically to stay sane. Her contributors are also very experienced
hikers; many are also Triple Crowners; all are RECENT hikers of the trail
upon which they comment, so they are speaking of many of the same things you
will encounter.

I still have a copy of her early PCT Handbook in the original 3 ring binder
format. I got her CDT Handbooks last year.

Bottom line - you can spend months or years doing your own research on the
PCT, the CDT, or the CT and likely not equal what Yogi has
collected........or you can spend $40 and get it all at once. Spend your
time collecting and studying maps (which are absent from Yogi's books),
route-planning, and building your gear list and food plans.

A trail name (and its source) is meaningful only to the hiker to whom it
applies. They run the gamut from the ridiculous to the sublime. For example,
I'm Wandering Bob, but I'm not necessarily lost all the time (I just
misplace the trail occasionally....but that's another story).