[pct-l] Protein shakes as trail food?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 28 19:33:50 CST 2012

Hi all,
I just want to put this out there. It's probably not a viable
solution for 99% of you. When I go hiking now, I take high protein,
high fat foods and leave the carbs home. I started a topic about this
on backpackinglight.com titled "Ketogenic diet as a way to lighten
pack?" http://tinyurl.com/739fq6x .

The basic idea is that if you can get your body adapted to a
ketogenic diet, you do not have to eat very much food at all and thus
your food is lighter. So far it is working for my section hikes very
well this year. I hope someday to learn how to make real pemmican for
my backpack trips.

Good luck everyone!