[pct-l] Snow conditions in the Sierra Nevada

Josie josie1066 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:12:11 CST 2012

Just returned from a snowshoe, back country, cross country loop from Badger
Pass Ski Area to Ostrander Hut in the Sierra Nevada. This location is some
miles to the west of the PCT, but in similar country. We inadvertently took
the Merced Crest route which is seldom used, poorly marked and “difficult”
(according to the sign at Badger ski area). Well, the latter was a bit of
an understatement but what glorious country—I never cease to be filled with
wonder by it! We left Badger Friday afternoon and had 2 nights on ridge
tops overlooking that incredible Yosemite winter landscape. We saw no one
and there were no tracks after the Bridal Creek Trail Junction all the way
to Ostrander Hut. It was amazing! The reason I’m sharing this is that at
our elevation, between 7 and 9,000 feet there was snow on the ground, but
it was not deep and quite patchy in places, and Ostrander Lake is already
beginning to thaw. I heard there was more snow coming this week and we need
it!

Jo