[pct-l] service animal

ecpg at peoplepc.com ecpg at peoplepc.com
Mon Feb 27 12:08:14 CST 2012

As the owner and user of a service dog I depend a lot on my dog. And there
are a lot of rules on how and what dogs are to be used. THey come under the
heading of Department of Justice and are federal law. Unfortunately, because
they try to make the dogs access as easy as possible on people who need
them, they have a lot of leeway for those who want to get their dog out in
public without a real need for it. This makes it hard on legitimate service
dog owners.

If you are a person who is in a position to screen dog use you are allowed
to ask what the dog does and if the person is disabled. THe proper answer to
this in my case is "yes, and he's a mobility dog, ".

Service dogs should not be growling and acting out in any way. If you want
to know the standards they are held to google Public Access Test. This is a
very difficult test and should be the standard to which dogs are held.
Again, unfortunately, there is no one policing this on a national level as
the feds don't want to make it difficult for anyone who might have problems
with financial or geographical limitations to accessing the test or a
trainer.

You can call the police and have them sort it out. Most of them know what
the rules are.
Unfortunately, if you are wrong and make a big deal out of limiting access
to a dog who is legitimately doing his job you can be fined up to $10,000.
Those who are using their dogs inappropriately are well aware of this and
use it to their own advantage.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Carolyn Eddy
"Sweet Goat Mama"