[pct-l] a pot for two and newbie questions

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 25 20:43:50 CST 2012

Good morning, Lousia,

I’m a long-time and committed ultra-lite hiker, but I’m about to recommend
that you add a bit of weight to your load.  If you wish, please feel free
to value my advice at exactly what you paid for it.

It can be wonderful to hike with a close friend, but over 4-5 months and
2,663 miles things can change.  Hiking styles are different or they change
during a trip.  Very often hiking partners separate: Maybe sooner, maybe
later, maybe temporarily, maybe forever, but usually while remaining
friends.  In the event of separation what’s to be done about shared gear?

No matter with whom I hike, where, or for however long, I am always totally
self-reliant with my own gear.  If I were to become separated from others,
if I wish to leave town early, or take an extra half-day I can.  If I care
to eat glue-stew for breakfast and oatmeal in the evening, I can.  I don’t
have to worry if someone else wanders off with THE compass and THE maps.

I have no idea how you value self-reliance, but I value it very highly.  A
small amount of extra gear provides options for both partners and can
significantly reduce social stress.

Specifically, I don’t carry either a pot or a stove.  I’ve heard good
things about MicroSpikes but I don’t own them.  For low snow years you
might consider shoe-screws:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768 or, like most hikers, use
nothing at all on the sneakers.

Enjoy your planning and your hike – whatever arrangements you make.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/