[pct-l] Park Rangers

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 19:52:00 CST 2012

I've had a few irriatating experiences with park rangers when trying to obtain a backcountry permit.
Three times at two different parks I've been turned down for my permit.  Why?  Because, in their view, the hike I was wanting to do isn't possible.  Why?  I was trying to set an iteneriary with 23-25 mile days over 4 days (90 miles in 4 days), and that just wasn't possible.  I still steam over it.
I've heard 5 park rangers use the term "not in this park," referring to "this park" has mountains and passes, with the idea that I must be from Iowa and I may be able to do 25 miles a day at home on roads, but not this "park" which has ups and downs.

I wish I knew to what extend they have a right to deny permits.  I'm guessing they have all the power.  That's why I steam over it.  They have no idea what they're talking about.
I wish I knew if I could ask to speak to their supervisor or write to the head organization to complain or someting.
I am willing to give over authority with policites to protect people from people and protect land/wildlife from people, but a hiker should not be denied based on some ranger's idea of what may be too physically difficult.  How can they dare allow El Cap or Mt. Rainier to be climbed, which is tons more dangerous than hiking 25 mile days.  They don't deny climbing the peaks, but hiking around them??  Makes no sense.

Also, I guess I'm in a minority, but I think a $5,000 fine is way too high.  Doesn't fit the crime.