[pct-l] Park Rangers

Rachel Dysart rachel_dysart at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 15:08:37 CST 2012

Hello Mikey.  I'm sorry to hear that your friends had a bad experience.  I grew up in the Sierra National Forest just outside of Yosemite and my mother worked for the NPS in Yosemite and my Dad was USFS.  I think in any profession you will find over zealous people who like to exercise their power in a way that's not too kind or fair.  In general though I think the park has many caring and passionate people who want to protect the park and the wildlife.  Personally I'm glad that the fine is that high for not containing your food properly.  Too many times my Mom would come home from work in tears with stories of park bears being put-down.  It's really important to keep the bears safe and wild and the people who walk in their land safe.  Every time I read of someone saying they don't pack their food in a canister (where it's required) my heart aches because it's the wildlife that suffers from their ego and ignorance.  I appreciate that we have
 advocates for the last few precious wild spaces and wildlife.  Peace.

- Rachel

Message: 22