[pct-l] Thru hiking with dog - rattlesnake vacine

Lee Staley leestcoast at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 21:53:57 CST 2012

My vet has treated a dog that received the vaccine and was subsequently bit - he told me that having had the vaccine obviously saved the dog's life, but the dog was still very sick and needed to receive followup care.  The dog fully recovered.  As far as dogs on the trail go, I think the snake aversion training would be more valuable than the vaccine, if you had to choose one over the other.  I think it is unlikely that a dog trained to identify and avoid snakes would be bitten, particularly if they are trained to stay "on trail".

Cruz Control