[pct-l] Admin Note: Cabin fever, dogs, alcohol stoves, guns and Reinhold

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Thu Feb 23 19:55:13 CST 2012

It seems cabin fever has kicked in again..... Please remember that all
posts to the list need to be polite, and on topic.

I know that dogs, alcohol stoves, guns and Reinhold are all
controversial topics, all with their opponents and proponents

For noobs, please be advised that any replies you get to posts about
these subjects may be impassioned. Please don't let the "passion"
overwhelm you or put you off. We have members who are passionate about
all the above topics, as well as: snow safety, maps, GPS,  pro- or
anti- Ultra Light Weight, as well as other topics near and dear to
their hearts.

For old timers, please remember that each person considering hiking
the PCT has the responsibility and freedom to Hike Their Own Hike.

Educating folks as to the rules and regulations of the various
jurisdictions over the trail is valuable information for hikers. The
patchwork of rules is really confusing sometimes, with two USFS
regions, several forests, BLM, state parks and national parks, all
with their own rules.

HOWEVER, browbeating folks is simply not polite. The choices each
hiker makes are his own, whether to hike in shoes, boots, or barefoot,
with or without a dog, to tote a 20mm Vulcan mini-gun, whether to
follow the rules and risk the potential consequences. ..... or even to
exchange dirty jokes on the trail with Reinhold and Switchback
(horrors!)

I have met dogs in OR/WA who happily hiked the whole PCT south of them
with their owners, and I know many hikers who have hiked the whole
trail without using a bear can with no problems. ( I am not advocating
doing these things, just noting they have been done. )

I also know other folks who have had lots of problems with lots of
mundane stuff all while obsessively trying to be "legal" and "safe."

Hike Your Own Hike, and remember that YOU are responsible for your own
actions, and the penalty for mistakes can be your life, or the lives
of others. Knowledge and Experience are power. Ignorance and Hubris
are deadly. To quote: "A man's got to know his limitations."