[pct-l] Dogs and Poison Oak

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 23 14:21:19 CST 2012

Good afternoon, Treerings,

I rather like the Wikipedia definition of “weed”:

“A weed in a general sense is a plant that is considered *by the user of
the term* to be a nuisance. The word is normally applied to unwanted plants
in human-controlled settings, especially farm fields and gardens, but also
lawns, parks, woods, and other areas.”

Emphasis is  mine; and I consider the immediate proximity of the PCT to
qualify as a human-controlled setting; else why do trail crews try to
eradicate poison oak?

I don’t care what it does or what is called outside my range of contact,
but when it is potentially damaging to me it is -- and shall ever be -- a
weed.  Further, it’s a noxious weed.

I have similar low regard for vermin which chew into my food sacks, and
parasites which fly or craw onto my hide to suck blood.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/