[pct-l] Minimalist Shoes, Poison Oak, And Dezi Donally

John Coyle jcoyle at sanjuan.edu
Thu Feb 23 14:03:21 CST 2012

They may not be minimalist shoes but I want to give a shout out for the Montrail Rockridge trail runners.  I bought a pair from Amazon and liked them so well I immediately bought a second pair.  When I bought them they were $49.99, but the price has gone up to 65.99 today, which is still cheaper than the $90 something list price.  The thing I most like about them is the traction on dirt and rock trails.  I have a feeling they may not be the best on wet or slick granite, judging from the tread pattern though.  In other words, pick something else for Half Dome. They are particularly good for mild supinators like me or those that typically wear out the outside edge of the heel first.  Get 1/2 size larger than your street size shoes.

Also spent President's day backpacking at Henry Coe State Park near Morgan Hill just south of San Jose.  Tried the new Neoair All Season air mattress.  It really does seem to be a lot warmer that the regular Neoair.  I got into some Poison Oak unfortunately and it's all over my face and everything I touched with my hands.  There were no Poison Oak leaves present, so I came in contact with a bare bush somewhere along the way.  I must have touched it shortly before I urinated, get the picture?  Oh well, two weeks of misery.

Finally since St. Patrick's day is drawing nearer, I give you a this music youtube.  What could be more Irish than two Irish guys sitting in an Irish Pub playing a couple of Irish tunes.  Dezi Donally closes he eyes and transport himself to another part of the universe as he plays.  I like the part at the end where he barks like a dog.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DHCvUlAQ_E