[pct-l] HYOH- campfires

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Feb 22 21:15:11 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In 2008, the trail north of Fobes Saddle was closed because of the Apache
> Fire. As you probably recall, it was started by a careless PCT hiker.

This one was caused by a smoker, so why the rant about evil illegal
camp fires? ... or why not evil alcohol stoves too?

Since the fire started on the PCT by a human, by definition it was
started by a "PCT Hiker" but I don't think they ever pinned it on a
long distance hiker. There are lots of weekenders and day hikers out
there too.

And as far as "reporting them..."
WTF? Assuming that they don't actually start a wildfire (or you are in
a National Park,) no "ranger" is going to do anything about it. There
simply are not the resources. Most of the time, it would probably be
difficult to figure out who to call.

I'm not condoning illegal fires, or dismissing fire safety (I live in
So-Cal and have had wild fires burn close to my house more than
once.....) but I don't see the point of this righteous indignation.