[pct-l] Minimalist shoes

Ryno Terblanche ryno.terblanche at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 08:21:26 CST 2012

I went this way after reading Born to Run, and it sounds like quite a few
thru-hikers plan to use minimalist shoes and I'm sure this subject has been
discussed quite a bit already on here.

But here's my take on it anyway: I've been using merrell trail gloves for
the last few months and more recently been trying the NB minumus trail
runners. I have flat feet and overpronate badly so always have ankle and
sometimes knee pain (itbs) after long hikes or trail runs. I've used
adjustable as well custom made orthotics for years and although they
provide short term relief at times the same ankle/knee pains still come
about eventually. And my feet always felt weak even though I run regularly.

With the minimalist shoes (and lots of feet and
leg strengthening exercises) I can feel my feet getting stronger slowly but
it's taking time. I have thicker pads, more flexible feet, my ankles are
much stronger (I used to sprain my right a lot - no problems yet).
Importantly it forces you to look at your gait and that has helped me so
far with my hiking and trail running. Of course that causes other parts of
your feet and legs to work harder so take it slow at first. I've found that
constantly stretching my calves/achilles has helped a lot but
I'm careful and don't overdo it.

Of course, what works for one might not work for another as everyone's feet
and gait varies so widely.

At the moment I'm happy and this approach is working for me so far. Having
said that the true test will be when I'm on the trail 24/7. My orthotics
will be going into my bounce box as backup but going back to them will be
the last resort for me!