[pct-l] Don't Dread the Load (was: "the Dreaded Backpack")

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:37:07 CST 2012

I am not going to go down the path of telling you how or what to carry.
(But, hey you asked for advice) That is a decision each hiker has to make.
 I carried a 5 lb pack 12 years ago on my PCT thru hike.  And ALL of the
gear that I could jam in it!  But, that was 12 years ago.  I am now 12
years older and one knee "othoed" smarter......

I have to simply suggest re-thinking your purchase of a 5 to 7 lb pack in
this age of modern light weight gear.  Here is a simple example of what I
carry:

Tent:  Gossamer Gear - The One    Weight   =     1.1 pounds
Sleeping bag              - 32 degree down       =      1.5 pounds
Pack: Gossamer Gear -                              =     14 ounces
sleeping Pad                                              =     14 ounces

total:                                                         =
(about 4 pounds)

ALL of the above "the big 4" weighs less than any of the packs you listed.

Point is that you can find off the shelf, comfortable, safe and functional
gear out there that will get you thinking about every ounce/gram.  But, you
do have to keep in mind that ALL of your gear must be lighter and smaller.

If you have purchased a 10 pound 2 person 4 season tent.  Well, choosing a
14 ounce pack is NOW not an option.

Don't DREAD your decision, lighten up your gear and ENJOY being lighter.

But, as is said;  HYOH and CYOG (Cary Your Own Gear)

StarMan

Hey All,

I have successfully bought my tent and sleeping bag, but am having major
decision issues with choosing a backpack. I've managed to narrow it down to
 The Bergans of Norway Birkebeiner Lady 65L Backpack
 JanSport Klamath 68 Rucksack
or the Deuter AirContact Pro.
I know most of these brands are european, but I was wondering if anyone on
here knows anything about any of these packs. I just cannot make my mind
up, and it's driving me crazy!!
Or anyone have any other recommendations?
I tried on a few Osprey packs in store with heavy weight, but all of them
dug in badly on my shoulders. Not sure if its because I have strange
shoulder shapes. Possibly the women's shape backpacks aren't right for me.
Any responses greatly appreciated of course.

Flo