[pct-l] The Heitmans' "retiring"

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:54:55 CST 2012

Advice needed on responding to trail angel generosity ~

Hi everyone,

We're in our final two months prepping for our 2012 Thru-Hike (Inshallah)
-- plane tix already bought -- and we've been training steadily for the
past year. It reeeeeeeally matters to us that we show our gratitude to
trail angels and trail magicians in ways they appreciate.

Would some of you be willing to share with us general rules of thumb where
money is concerned. We need to plan for how much cash to carry.

I've read on these posts that $20 to $25 per person per night for staying
overnight with a trail angel is recommended. Is that about right? What
about all the other less-than-overnight moments of happy generosity we
encounter? [For example, if we come around a corner on the trail and find a
trail angel has set up beer & burgers (like Erin's blog showed), we'd want
to help pay to defray costs -- is that good?

I know we'll get the hang of the PCT culture once we're out there -- but we
want to be prepared.

Cheers,

Charles & the guys