[pct-l] The Heitmans' "retiring"

Philippe Gouvet philippe.gouvet at orange.fr
Tue Feb 21 10:10:22 CST 2012

Dear friends,

I have been deeply moved — among other feelings — by Georgi's 'farewell' post.
I live on the other side of the world, in Europe, where trail angel activities, that I try to describe to my friends, are unheard of, sound surreal and totally mind-boggling. I know you all realize how stunning the generosity and sheer kindness can be, that we 'thru-hikers' (I am not one yet, wannabe only) benefit from. And how grateful, and respectful, we ought to be. It is not stunning, where I live, it just sounds absolutely inconceivable.
And I have been... kind of saddened, reading between Georgi's lines, to realize that some thru-hikers do not always behave the way we ought. I am also wondering whether Georgi's retirement from trail angeling is not a result of having to cope over the years  with a few disgraceful attitudes (one would be too many).
It will be a very sad day when trail angels get fed up with hosting and helping ungrateful people on the PCT. Yes, this is all about humankind, which is not always what we would like it to be. Trail angels, we have to be keenly aware of it, are this extremely rare breed of warm-hearted and generous people, the likes of whom are very thin on the ground in Europe. Actually, I think you would have a very tough time trying to find such amazing guys on European trails.
So, even if I have never met Georgi nor the other trail angels, I would like to thank them for only... existing. They are a major part of the fabulous experience I am convinced I will have this Summer on the PCT. Yet this is a highly fragile... experience. The trail is fragile, trail angels are too. We have to take care. Wonderful country, wonderful scenery, wonderful people. What else can you hope for?

Philippe

Philippe Gouvet
pacificcresttrail2012.blogspot.com
http://philippegouvet.zenfolio.com