[pct-l] Blister Wisdom: Leukotape

Mark Nienstaedt mark.nienstaedt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 12:40:09 CST 2012

Hi All,

I walked the PCT in 2011 with no blister problems.  I did not regard this
as an accident.  Preparation was the key.
This was the strategy:
Fundamentally, low pack weight.  I was not extremely Ultralite (base weight
~ 20 lbs) but I was light enough.  Secondly, time tested comfortable
shoes.  Trail Runners.  Mine were Merrill Moab Ventilators.  Several other
brands are clearly equally good.  I had worn Merrill shoes on Trail
before.  Thirdly, a comfortable, reliable sock.  In my case a Wigwam "Trail
Mix Fusion" product.
Here's where it might get interesting:  Prevention.
Borrowing a tip I first heard from Brandon Wilson, author and long distance
Pilgrim walker, I massaged my feet with vasoline every night before
retiring and often every morning before setting out on trail.  Your feet
will like a routine like this.  Lastly, carry "Leukotape-P" as your hot
spot magic bullet.  This tape is an outstanding product.  It eliminates
blister causing friction.  Once applied to clean,dry skin, unlike any
competing product, it remains in place for days.  You can bathe and shower
with it on.  It will not come off.  When you want to remove it, the
threatening hot spot having become a distant memory, you can remove it with
ease.  I first learned of this product from a Portuguese  hiker while
Pilgrim walking in Spain where it is sold inexpensively as "Leukoplast".
Google "Leukotape" and you will find it available here in the U.S. where it
is apparently a favorite of ultra marathon runners.  I'll never walk long
trail again without it.

Good Luck!

Buffalo Jump Sly!
AT '02, JMT '03, LT '05, PCT '11, & etc.