[pct-l] blister wisdom

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 16 22:23:04 CST 2012

Good evening,

While hiking Oregon in ’99 I tried the thread-through-the-blister trick and
the best I can say for it is that it didn’t seem to make anything
worse.  Supposedly,
after the blister has been drained, the thread will keep the drainage
hole(s) open and wick out any additional fluid accumulation as the hiker
walks.  Maybe the thread will serve to keep the thread holes somewhat open,
but the thread is too small to be of much use in actually wicking moisture.
Besides, when the fluid comes in contact with the air tends to thicken on
the thread and become gummy to further resist wicking.

On the down-side, nothing healed any faster with that method, and I was
always concerned that the thread could carry infection under the skin –
once when it is inserted and again when it is withdrawn.

When I drain a blister I make a very small cut at a bottom edge, and I’ve
never had further fluid accumulation.  A thread wouldn’t have promoted
better drainage.

I’ve seen hikers use the thread system, and I’ve never heard of serious
damage as a result, but it’s my opinion that there is some risk that is
uncompensated by any significant advantage.

The callus question comes up from time to time.  Some believe calluses are
great, but the very best condition my feet have been in was when I kept the
calluses minimal, and used some kind of lotion or goop to keep the skin
soft.   Calluses may marginally help when walking bare-footed – which I
don’t do -- but tough feet are created from the inside out.  I’ve found
that on my feet significant calluses cause mischief:  They dry and form
very troublesome and painful cracks.  As a result, I reduce them with rough
sandpaper before applying the softener.

I’ve heard of people who get blisters deep beneath thick calluses, but I
have no experience with them.  I understand they are very bad news.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/