[pct-l] 2012 campfire permit form

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 10:52:59 CST 2012

Dear Tanya,

If you are planning to go to the Kick Off, there might be a Forestry person
at the Kick Off issuing permits, at least there was last year.  OR, along
Hwy 8 near the Kick Off there is a U.S. Department of Forestry Station (It
HAS to be U.S. Forestry and not some local city fire station.) and they
will issue you a permit.  You will most likely be flying in to San Diego
and will have to travel this route to get to Campo anyway so it will be
right on your way.

Please note that along with a fire permit, you need to also carry a shovel.
 You can purchase a nice ultra light, small collapsible shovel that can
also dig your "cat hole" for your bathroom needs.  This information is
coming from a retired fire captain who hiked the trail last year, "Noodles".

That being said, fires can be nice sometimes but most hikers do not build
fires along the way and tend to only use a Jet Boil or something light to
cook their food.  It is nice for the occasional "kum by ya" camaraderie
gathering along the way.

Toga