[pct-l] HYOH- campfires

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 07:20:30 CST 2012

MendoRider,

A safer "system" for an alcohol stove is the caldera, in which an aluminum cone (tech nically a frustrum, IIRC ) serves both as a windscreen and a pot stand.  The cookpot fits exactly in the open top and weights it down, especially when full of water.  I never had a problem with wind blowing over my stove in 2010 or 2011.  And when the stove is under the caldera cone, the flame is a little easier to see in the shade.

However, the other  point - no shutoff valve - is still a concern.

Mango