[pct-l] Sleeping bag selection. Ahhh!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 11 09:33:24 CST 2012

Zero degree is probably overkill. I am female and used a 20 degree
bag (quilt) most of the way. A few cold nights in So Cal and one cold
night in the Sierras. It's colder in So Cal than the Sierras in case
you are expecting bikinis and heat waves.

Thrus who want to lose pack weight and still be comfortable will
learn a lot of things like not setting up camp next to a creek, lake
or in a meadow. You can gain probably 20 degrees with good campsite
selection, sleeping mid-slope rather than in a cold sinkhole of air.
You don't "camp" as a thru-hiker. You just sleep. No "amenities" are
needed in your sleeping spot. You enjoy the lakes and streams in the
daytime while awake. You eat in a nice place and continue on a couple
miles more after dinner (well, many do, I always ate in my tent
having carried cooking water to my sleeping spot.) Wear all your
clothes and rain gear to bed if it's really cold.