[pct-l] HYOH

Timothy Boyle stumblingwolf at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 04:35:49 CST 2012

Thank you to everyone reading this.  I think pct-l is a great forum that
provides access to information from all angles and expereinces.  Those new
to the thru may be slightly intimidated by the variety of opinions all
favoring the ultra-light backpacking experience.  I feel somewhat alienated
because I favor a comfortable, leisurely pace with access to a comfortable
life on the trail.  Of course comfort equals weight in most cases.  For
those who haven't spent months out at a time, I suggest adding three weeks
to your itinerary to provide healing time on zero days and for me, more
importantly it is the time to truly immerse myself in the journey of a
lifetime.  Experience is the only way to find your own comfort zone.  Start
off carrying what you feel you need at first, and as the weeks pass,
experience the wonder at the realization of what it is that you truly need
to be happy, and rejoice as you shake off your shell.  It truly is all
about Hiking Your Own Hike, and learning what works for you is kinda the
whole point.  For me it's about carrying a 50 + lb pack with food to keep
me from civilization for 2 weeks at a time.  Oftentimes I feel like a
penitent on a pilgrimige, especially the last few miles of the day, but
when I sit in my Thermarest chair-frame, comfortably seated in front of my
fire at night's end I find comfort in my surroundings and I gain more
through the suffering.  I may be punishing myself with a heavier load, but
I like it.  (Armchair therapists - feel free to weigh in on this)  Anyway,
as a life lesson I guess I try to stay behind the pack and HMOH.  This
should be fun!

Happy Trails Everyone - wavycap -