[pct-l] SOCKS

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 10 22:33:34 CST 2012

I got dust all the way up my pant legs all the way to my upper
thighs. How was that possible? The only place that was clean was the
area where my Dirty Girl gaiters covered my ankles. I have a picture:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dianesoini/
PCT2009QuincyLaPorteRoadToHighway36Chester#5353149431321617234

This is how your feet SHOULD look, according to Yogi's guide. And I
agree. You want your shoes airy enough to let in the dust. Your feet
need to breathe. This keeps your feet dry. You look at any boot
wearer and their feet turn into prunes. That leaves the skin of the
feet vulnerable to blisters. Dry feet are happy feet. This dust is so
fine it doesn't chafe. It's like mica dust, like talcum powder only
brown.

I was able to clean it off my legs with about a half cup of water. I
could  get it out of thin socks. But a pair of cushioned wool socks
that I wore still leaks little bits of sand that got in there and
never got out, even now, almost 4 years later.