[pct-l] Handshakes

Eric Martinot eric at martinot.info
Thu Feb 9 00:01:24 CST 2012

My top-ten item #11, "never shake hands," seems to have stirred up
some discussion of handshakes and hygiene, so I want to clarify a
little my meaning of "sketchy hygiene" because to me it is quite
specific.

I've never been bothered by dirt or smelly clothes or anything in the
environment with respect to health, nor by people who haven't bathed
for a week (hugging is fine too), but to me, there are two main
differences on-trail vs. off-trail with respect to hygiene:

(1) Lack of soap and water after doing your business in a cathole (the
"fecal matter" from Eric Lee's post).  I've never carried any soap and
presume most others don't either, and often there is no running water
nearby and so a splash from a water bottle or maybe some grass and
dirt, but still no soap.

(2) Lack of kleenex so you blow your nose with your fingers pressed on
the side.  Especially if its really cold the thick mucus is
everywhere, contagious if you happen to be fighting a respiratory
virus at the time from the stress of the trail.

Either of these raises the potential to infect others by shaking
hands, beyond normal off-trail life.  Still might not be a problem,
except that since washing hands is sometimes much more difficult or
infrequent on-trail than off-trail, you are less *likely* to have
washed after shaking hands before doing something like eating, or
wiping your eyes from stinging sweat, or washing your cook pot with
your fingers at a dry camp with no water to spare.  Therefore, the
most straightforward approach is just not to shake hands at all.

I started not shaking hands in the early years mostly because I was
concerned about giving something *to* someone else who might not wash
their hands before they next ate, not the other way around.
Especially someone I had just helped or gotten to know enough that
they *wanted* to shake my hand in parting.   Some years later, after I
started carrying "wet ones" wipes for the main purpose to avoid skin
rashes and sores on my bottom (from my top-ten list), and then started
using one for the hands too, I felt a bit better, but was still
concerned.

Not responding to an outstretched hand is really hard to do, given
conditioning over a lifetime to automatically respond.  But I once
saved myself from a street mugging by not automatically shaking the
outstretched hand of a stranger who was counting on my automatic
response to hold me, and since then have always considered it a
choice, although as I said, countering the implied rudeness in some
way is the main problem.  Several here have now suggested the fist-
bump, and very interesting to learn it happens among doctors and
nurses in hospitals in lieu of handshakes.

Eric

[pct-l] Handshakes
Michael S michaels at skepticalraptor.com
Wed Feb 8 15:57:14 CST 2012

I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as a "balanced ecosystem of
germs" since every day we are exposed to thousands, if not millions of
new viruses and bacteria every day. And water is a major source of
intestinal issues, mostly not because of bacteria or viruses, but
mainly from pathogenic parasites such as nematodes, amoeba, and other
things.

  But I do agree with you. Not only would I not want to eat from
someone else's gorp bag, but I wouldn't want them in mine. In a
healthcare setting, no one sticks their hands into someone else's
potato chips or peanuts, they pour it out into their hands. Probably
something you should do if you run into a starving soul on the trail.

Michael