[pct-l] Late May for an ole man

Webmail dcooper dcooper at bigsky.net
Tue Feb 7 19:33:13 CST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Webmail dcooper
Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Subject: Late May for an ole man
To: pct-1 at backcountry.net

Im a former (what we used to call) long distance hiker; from 1980 thru 1985
we section hiked the full length of the Continental Divide from Mexico to
the Bering Strait (Russian border)...about 14,000 trail miles (if you want
to call that...). Man, has technology changed things. In place of hours of
hanging around the old Oregon Mountain Community store talking to fellow
backpackers and climbers, begging to help pack up crews headed out for
climbing expeditions throughout the world (learning how to do food
logistics, et al), I just sit on my 58yo ass with my iPad now and read how
it's done now.  Petty cool.

So here it is my fellow thru-hikers of the new age, I want to thru-hike the
PCT this year but can't start until after my Calculus final (taking
Calculus because smacking my nuts with a hammer got old...that and I am
redefining my career after selling my company).  This means a start date of
mid to late May.  I'm 58 and in decent hiking shape...10 miles a day with
35 lb pack around Mt Hood trails is easy for me...BUT I need a good 2-3
week break in period prior to the Sierras. And for the first time in my
life, I will be doing this alone...at least that's the way it looks
now...it's not my preference and honestly I am a little skittish about it.
Yes, there are questions coming...

1. I'm assuming 60 mi in first 5 days, rest, another 60 mi in 5 days, rest,
and 15 mi a day after that. Assuming this and a late May start date, Is a
border start realistic assuming heat and water issues?
2. If not a southern terminus start point, are there any suggestions on
time and location for a starting pont given the above parameters? I am not
against section hiking.

Thanks,
Cooper