[pct-l] shoe shopping question

Amanda Schaffer okapi.ams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:20:44 CST 2012

Hi all,
  I'm planning for a thru-hike and anxious to start testing some new shoes
(I've previously been doing longer trips in Asolo boots but have come to
realize they're way too heavy for serious mileage). I have some questions
about the recommendation to get shoes 1 1/2 sizes bigger than normal -  how
can you tell that they'll fit well? Do you try on shoes at your current
size to see if they're comfortable, then buy them larger, or try on the
larger size? Do you wear extra socks the first day or two to keep your feet
from slipping and causing blisters?

I always struggle with choosing shoes, so any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Amanda