[pct-l] Convertible hiking pants

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 4 17:56:35 CST 2012

I believe there is no such thing as decent convertible hiking pants
for women. There is always something wrong with them. Too tight in
the waist. Too tight in the legs. Too low-rise. Shallow, useless
pockets that will guarantee you lose everything. Poor quality fabric
that stains, pills and shreds as soon as you step over a tree. Legs 6
inches too long or else all the others are capris. Or a combination
of all these things.

What I do is check thrift stores first. I can alter pants that are
too big. Give them a snug waist and have legs that can actually
straddle a tree. Next up I go for shopping around. I usually have to
settle for something with a flaw. I hiked in 2009 with a pair with
terrible pockets but everything else was good. The one pocket with a
zipper had the zipper lengthwise to ensure if you unzipped while
walking everything would fall out. Only one pocket could hold
anything securely and only if I did not lay down. Doesn't anybody
believe women will actually HIKE in their clothing, not just carry
their purses to the mall pretending to look like a hiker??? I think
they were Columbia brand from Sports Authority of all places, not a
chic brand but they did the job.

Good luck with your search.