[pct-l] Emails on the PCT

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:26:32 CST 2012

Most people use smartphones when hiking the PCT to keep connected with email.  I think the iphone 4 would be a good smartphone to use.  I was happy with my iphone last year on my thru-hike.
I helped develop an iphone app for the PCT (Guthook's PCT Hiking Guide).  It worked great on the PCT in 2012 and a lot of people were very happy with it.  The PCT app allows you to use your iphone as a GPS (show where you are on the map), show the next campsite, water source, town information etc. and provides pictures too.   You can check out more details at the following links.
itunes app store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guthooks-pct-southern-california/id503652257?mt=8
Guthook hiking guides Tutorial
http://www.guthooksguides.com/tutorials.html
I am currently developing a similar app for Android phones... We plan on having this done by early April. So people with Android phones will not be left out.   Both iphone and Android versions would also have new updates from my successful 2012 thru-hike.
Good luck on your planning.  I hope to see you on the trail :)
Paul (Tangent)