[pct-l] Light weight ponchos

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 02:01:40 CST 2012

I'm not crazy about how shaped poncho shelters restrict you to a certain
type of shelter, particularly since they're very small.

I think a regular poncho tarp can be very good with a little extra.  A
fellow on Whiteblaze showed a poncho that he had modified by Ron at MLD to
have a removable beak.  That gives a lot of room underneath and more
protection than usual.  I think a lightweight bivy would be a really good
idea in case blowing rain gets around or under the poncho tarp.

Antigravity Gear used to sell a tarp shelter with a "dodger" accessory.
 The dodger was removable vestibule for the end of the tarp when it's set
up in an A frame pitch.  It should work with a poncho tarp too.

I also like using tyvek sleeves while walking with the poncho.  It really
helps keep freezing rain from tapping body heat, and it weighs less than an
ounce.

As far as a recommendation, I don't think there's much difference.
 Definitely get one that has webbing tabs and a way to close the
sides...usually snaps.  The Golite poncho tarp is the lightest at 7 ounces.
 The 3 ounce savings over any other silnylon poncho tarp should easily
cover the added weight of a removable beak and tyvek sleeves.