[pct-l] The taste of water

Seth Jacobs jacobs.sethf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 13:31:49 CST 2012

It would be good to know before you start out whether your sensitive to the
taste of water.  I'm a bit of a sissy in that regard.  You're going to be
drinking a great deal of it and some of the water in SoCal isn't very
palatable, even after filtering.  I used a Katdyn water filter last year,
but found that when the water was obtained from a tank, it tasted like
metal; from a trough, it tasted like concrete.  When stored in a bladder,
the bladder imbued the water with the taste of plastic.  And often the
water got warm, which made it worse.  You can add flavoring to the water
(just don't add the flavoring to a bladder) which helps with the taste and
which can provide nutrients such as potassium.  It wasn't a deal breaker by
any means, but it's something to consider when planning a hike.

Seth