[pct-l] Tarptent Rainbow - questions

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Dec 26 12:24:02 CST 2012

I don't have a definitive answer for your tent question, but I can
tell you that the PCT is very windy, at least the whole entire So Cal
section. It can often be windy enough to drive people to quit the
trail. There have been several nights for me and Trailhacker where it
was too windy to set up a shelter, but also raining.

I've found that for my Gossamer Gear One tent that the small titanium
stakes work okay on the corners but the front and back lines need
much more substantial stakes. On the trail I used a stake shaped like
a Y for the front and a large aluminum hook stake for the rear. I
found these on the trail. I piled large rocks on top of all stakes
for the wind. Since then Trailhacker and I have purchased two very
large aluminum nail stakes for the front and rear of our Lunar Duo.
These hold very well.