[pct-l] Food for thru hiking PCT

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 10:03:38 CST 2012

No, I don't have experience with protein powders, but wanted
to add a couple thoughts:

If you agree with a target numerical calories per oz., don't
expect every piece of food to hit that target.  One food item may have more, while another may have less (but more of
something else like protein, vitamins, or yummy taste).

Secondly, calories, a unit of energy, is only one aspect of nutrician that you should be looking at.  I don't know if there's any science behind my views, but I think not all calories are equal.  For example, fat packs the most calories, but I would not want to have the bulk of my calories come from fat, in fact, I try to have fat be the source of the least amount of calories.  I shoot for carbs behing the highest source of caories, then look at complex carbs contributing well more then half of those carb calories, while sugars being well less then half.  Protein (important for muscle regeneration) I feel, comes in second, and fat third.
Then there are vitamins, a few minerals, and simply happy food that might mean a big deal in spiritual uplift for some people.  Sometimes I dedicate one particular food I like (perhaps beef jerky or a Twinkie) and save it for the half way point or reaching that high pass.  I guess Twinkie are out of the picture now.....boo.

So, looking at only the # of calories, you are only getting a slice of the whole picture of nutritian.