[pct-l] gear advice

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Dec 24 13:23:28 CST 2012

For tent I recommend the 6-Moons Designs Lunar Duo. You'll have a
roomy two-person tent with less weight than a Big Agnes. This assumes
you are using trekking poles. The solo version would also be roomy
enough.

For pack, I suggest not getting the biggest pack but getting the
smallest pack you can get away with. Your biggest concern is will it
hold your bear canister.

I used an Osprey Aura 65 for a large segment. It worked great when I
needed to haul a lot of water and my bear canister fit okay (I used
the old Garcia). But after I got through the Sierras, it was way too
big and I've never used it again, not even to hike the desert again.
Still, it's a good size and you can remove the lid to save a little
unused space later in the game.

I found that a very light down jacket was only used in towns and as
an extra layer of warmth occasionally inside my sleeping bag. Don't
forget that if you get cold enough you can wear your rain gear on top
of your jacket and you can wear your beenie. Wearing everything at
once should actually be a weight-saving strategy for the worst
conditions.