[pct-l] saving money on resupply

William Canavan wecanavan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 22:04:25 CST 2012

kelsocurtiss,
If you are really running that close to the wire with funds to hike you
might want to rethink your plan and maybe hike in a different year after
saving up a bit.  So many things can happen on a long distance hike that
call for some kind of money to fix.  How are you going to eat if you are
forced off the trail for a few days here and there?  And getting off the
trail occasionally is going to happen for any number of reasons:  you have
a Poodlebush incident and need help, you need medical help for any reason,
your pack breaks and needs parts, you need time off for a mental health
day, the weather or a forest fire keeps you from hiking 150 miles in the
time you planned so you go hungry, you decide you hate the food in your
resupply and go hungry, or a family emergency requires an unplanned trip.
 On my thru-hike everything I listed happened in part  to me or someone
knew.  I don't mean to discourage you but lack of funds drives hikers off
the trail and I know some of those guys too.  I think it's awesome that you
are planning a thru-hike and I wish you the very best.

Little Brown